Pictured above is the station for the Franklinton Fire Department
Click here to view a dedicated website for the Department
The Franklinton Fire Department was established in 1934 approximately one year after a disastrous fire almost destroyed the entire business section of Franklinton. Through the efforts of Paul E. Greenlaw, a modern department was organized and funded through a 5 mill tax (two for the fire department and three for the waterworks).
Mr. George Varnado was appointed as the Town’s first Fire Chief. Chief Varnado and Mr. Bryan Fussell traveled to Logansport, Indiana to accept delivery of the first fire truck. The original Ford truck is still in use today and used for riding in parades and other events to promote the department.
A full-time paid employee and two part-time employees ensure that the station is manned at all times. In addition to fighting fires, department personnel also answer medical calls and respond to motor vehicle accidents.
The fire department has had seven fire chiefs since its inception in 1934. Chief Chad Manning is the current Fire Chief and has served in that role for over 20 years.
For more information about the Franklinton Fire Department, please click below to email Chief Manning or call the fire department directly at (985) 839-3515.
Click here to email Chief Chad Manning
The original Ford fire truck purchased in 1934 is still in use today