Franklinton, located in west
central Washington Parish, is the governmental seat of the
parish. Histories of the town of Franklinton and the Parish of
Washington are closely related.
In 1820 a legislative act created the parish from the northern
section of St. Tammany Parish and the next year another act
designated the settlement of Franklin as the seat of parish
government. The exact boundary of the parish was not clearly
defined until 1826. That same year the town was moved five miles
upstream to land donated by John Bickham, Sr. and the name was
changed from Franklin to Franklinton to avoid conflict with
another community in St. Mary Parish with the same name.
Franklinton was designated a "Ready City" by the Louisiana
Department of Commerce and Industry in March, 1987, through
efforts of the town officials and the Franklinton Chamber of
Commerce. With this designation, the department will be in a
position to work closely with a local delegation from the
Franklinton Chamber of Commerce and a representative of the
Washington Industrial Development Foundation in efforts to
expand and strengthen the area economy. The Franklinton Chamber
of Commerce was founded in 1934. It has provided strong
community leadership since that time.
Franklinton's economy is based mostly upon agriculture and the
forest industry. Commercial service activities also contribute
greatly to the economy of the area.
D.A. Varnado & Sons store